The buddy teacher system provides an effective alternative discipline option for redirecting
Expectations and Guidelines
- Contact the receiving teacher by calling or sending a note with the student, making
prior arrangements when possible.
- Send students to a buddy teacher with either a red or blue card – this is on a trial basis
until the first Th in April.
- Excuse 1st year teachers for the 1st 6 weeks and guest teachers (all year) from
- Provide work/instructions for the student.
- Keep all students in the classroom the first and last 10 minutes of class, unless there
is an emergency.
- Communicate concerns in using the buddy teacher system with team members.
- Check on student’s progress during class.
- Go directly to the assigned teacher’s room without inappropriate behavior.
- Enter the assigned room respectfully.
- Begin the assigned task immediately and complete the task in the allotted time.
- Follow expectations/procedures of the buddy teacher.
- Return materials/assignments to the classroom teacher at the appropriate time.
- Return to class in a respectful manner.
Teachers will encourage students to remain in class whenever possible.
Teaching responsibility – Who? When? Where?
A student will be sent to a buddy teacher for
- Consistently disrupting class.
- Refusing to follow classroom rules.
- Refusing to do assignment after redirections.
- Making up work or a test.
A student will go to the buddy teacher
- After the first 10 minutes of class, unless an emergency arises.
- When the teacher directs.
- Students in the buddy teacher’s room will not talk to the incoming student.
Students will be sent to the buddy teacher’s room assigned to them.
- Teachers will document when students are sent to a buddy teacher.
- When possible, students will complete a behavior improvement form.
- Teachers will have a follow-up discussion with the student at an appropriate time.
- Teams will provide feedback and monitor their own use of the buddy teacher system.
If a student disrupts a buddy teacher’s classroom, the teams may
- Follow the steps listed in their discipline plan
- Write an office referral
- Red - student should remain with receiving buddy teacher for the entire period
- Blue - student should remain with receiving teacher to make-up work, complete test or
assignment, and may return to sending teacher when finished
Buddy Teacher System